Friday, March 23

Singer Capri 141 sewing machine

I know I know, sometimes blog posts are like buses - you don't see one for ages and then six come along at once. Well, in this case, two....

The owner of this machine had had a problem with the tension and so had bought a new one. I picked it up last week and thought - hmmmmmm, Singer Capri, never heard of that. I seem to attract sewing machines which are a bit unusual and about which there is not much information on the internet! I found a few clues in the Yahoo Vintage Singer group, but now annoyingly can't find that information again as the search engine bit isn't working properly. Usually if I search the internet for a machine, it will come up with several for sale, which it did, and at least one that someone mentions in a blog, which it didn't. That's partly why I decided to do a blog post on it, rather than just advertising it for sale. Someone else might be searching for a Singer Capri 141 at this very moment! I found photos of this and other Capri models on Singersewinginfo.co.uk, whence I also obtained a manual. No matter how simple a machine is, I don't feel it's complete until I've got the manual to go with it!

It is definitely made by Singer, and in Great Britain, but apart from that all I have managed to find out about this Capri range, is that they were probably made by Singer for the European market. I've no idea why that should mean that there is no information on them on the internet, as surely there must be someone in that big place called "abroad" who is still using one! The name "Merritt" on the foot controller is also a clue to it being different, Merritt being the middle name of Isaac Singer, but that's another tangent I need to go off at another time!

I think it's 1960s or 1970s, and it's a good solid machine with a mainly metal body. It is not quite all metal inside but is in excellent condition. It's a lovely machine and works well! There was actually nothing wrong with the tension; it was probably just a simple case of user error causing the problem. The machine is in fantastic condition, having no scratches or other marks that I can see. I don't think it can have been used much. The lady who gave it to me said it had belonged to her mother-in-law. The only thing wrong with it was that the clutch wheel wouldn't release to stop the needlebar going up and down when winding the bobbin. I tried and tried, and was then going to leave it overnight with some oil hopefully seeping in to the right places, but then Husband had a go and Bob was your uncle - released!

I gave the body of the machine a good clean (and the case), not that it was very dirty at all, removed all fluff from the bobbin area, oiled it, put a new needle in and tested it out. Everything works perfectly and it sews a lovely stitch. It does just straight stitch and zig-zag, and has reverse - simples! I also love the sound of it, which is something of a thing of mine - the sound that different sewing machines make.

Here it is -



With side extension plate


It sewed through several layers of cotton with ease



That all important instruction manual!

I think this might just be my favourite style of foot controller, regarding ease of control, even better than the clam style one I use on my Singer 201.

Foot controller
There are no extra feet with it, just the one for straight stitch and zig-zag, but extra feet are easily obtainable.


So, if you're interested or know someone who might be, I am selling it for £25.




20 comments:

  1. Lizzie, well done for saving it. It looks like a nice machine, not one that I have heard off either. I was sewing on a modern Singer at my sewing group (not my machine) it was a wimp of a machine compared to my vintage ones. Yours is such good value for money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Sharon. I'm going to be on the lookout for the free arm version now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks a canny little machine especially at £25. I used to have a Merritt sewing machine back in 1970. It too was a sturdy basic machine. I traded it in for a Newhome with lots of different stitches. My niece still has it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. not sure as she doesnt live nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, thought you might like to know that my grandmother bought me a Singer Capri 141 for my 18th birthday in 1977. We bought it new, in the UK, probably somewhere near Southampton. It's been in and out of use over the years and I've just rescued it from the loft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. Apologies for the late reply but I have not been receiving notification of comments! That's interesting re the dates. I wonder what shop you bought it in - I am from Winchester and also used to visit Southampton a lot as my parents were from there. Reed's perhaps? They have a shop in Winchester still and I think had one in Southampton. I didn't realize they were still around until we were there one day a few years ago and I went in and asked if they had any Berninas. They had one coming in and I bought it!

      Delete
    2. Hi, I have one of these which I bought new in 1977 from Debenhams in Torquay. It has been good to use but the bobbin winder switch is broken and it needs a clean and service now.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much. I have just been gifted one of these (and it is a little beauty) and also could'nt find much info about it online. The friend who gifted it remembers his mum buying it with his grandmother which would have been in the 70's and in the midlands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Glad you enjoyed the post! Your friend's memory ties in with what a previous commenter said.

      Delete
  7. Do you still have the machine? Could I see the manual please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. No, I sold the machine. As I said in the post I got the manual online. Click on this link and you'll find it and details of how to obtain one -

      https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/manuals/

      Delete
  8. Does anyone know where the reverse is on this please? X

    ReplyDelete
  9. From what I can remember I think to get reverse you push in the stitch length button. But check the online manual mentioned in a comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Singer Capri 141 is one of the best sewing machine. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi does any one have a link to download a 1978 capri 141 manual pleas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Has any one got a link for the 1978 capri 141 manual please

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments; it means I don't feel as if I'm just writing to myself! So please do leave one.